DLL Installation Problem

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hello.  I am running into problems installing this on Exchange Server 2010 SP2.  I attempted to recompile but also ran into problems with that.  I am going to look into getting the compile going as I believe its due to my failure to reference some Exchange assemblies.  However, I wanted to report this error with the downloaded DLL and see if there is something that I'm doing wrong.

Here is the command I ran to install the DLL:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727>InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll"

Here is the InstallLog file of that command:

Installing assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
   assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll
   logfile = C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.InstallLog
   logtoconsole =
An exception occurred while trying to find the installers in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll assembly.
System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
Aborting installation for C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll.
Rolling back assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
   assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll
   logfile = C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.InstallLog
   logtoconsole =
An exception occurred while trying to find the installers in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll assembly.
System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
Aborting installation for C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This is usually caused by the fact that one of the assemblies in the solution cannot be loaded (there is some missing reference or runtime dependency, or there is some security issue with loading the assembly).

ReflectionTypeLoadException

Now, what exactly could be wrong on your server?  I suspect the installer not having the right permissions to the file -- or the path itself is incorrect, but that's just two of many possibilities.

It looks like we could get more information under a debugger, but that seems a bit extreme.

Let me know if you're still having this problem.  At the least I can add it to the bugs and we can see about setting up a remote session or something to get you past it.

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I've added an alternative installation step if InstallUtil doesn't work.

Simply add the required registry key manually and you will be fine.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I got the same problem to install the DLL using InstallUtil.

So, I have made the alternative installation: Manually create the Registry key System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\MSExchangeRoutingRuleAgent\\Diagnostics\\General

After this, I got the following error with powershell all modules:

PS C:\> Install-TransportAgent -Name "Routing Rule Agent" -TransportAgentFactory RoutingRuleAgent
.RoutingRuleFactory -AssemblyPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll"

Install-TransportAgent : The TransportAgentFactory type "RoutingRuleAgent.RoutingRuleFactory" doesn't exist. The TransportAgentFactory type must be the Microsoft .NET class type of the transport agent factory.

Parameter name: TransportAgentFactory
At line:1 char:23
+ Install-TransportAgent <<<<  -Name "Routing Rule Agent" -TransportAgentFactory RoutingRuleAgent.RoutingRuleFactory -AssemblyPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\RoutingRule\RoutingRuleAgent.dll"
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Install-TransportAgent], ArgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 73892AE3,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.AgentTasks.InstallTransportAgent

But I can see the Agent Installed:

PS C:\> Get-TransportAgent

Identity                                           Enabled         Priority
--------                                           -------         --------
Transport Rule Agent                               True            1
Text Messaging Routing Agent                       True            2
Text Messaging Delivery Agent                      True            3

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Exchange 2010 I assume?

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Hi,

i have the exactly same error, when using Installutil.

Then i manually created the registry key and wanted to install the TransportAgent using the command "install-Transportagent ........"

Then i also receive the same error message like uellington.

Iam Using Ex 2010 SP2.

Do you have an idea?

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Other than checking your paths and permissions, I am not sure what exactly to do.

Typically the first problem is with an expected .NET framework not installed or binary that couldn't be located.

If you want to try to do a remote assistance session we could try to look through some things, but I don't have much in the way of other advice since I don't have the same problem and can't seem to reproduce it.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Hi,

i copied the dll file to C:\Routingruleagent\ and granted Everybody - Foll Control to the folder.

The installutil, still shows the same error!

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I am getting the error as well, permissions are correct, running Exchange 2010 SP2 same as the others. Tried manually creating the reg entry and then installing the transport agent and it errored out as well.

I am just assuming that right now this project is only working for Exchange 2010 SP1 and doesn't work with SP2 yet.

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I am not having any issues with SP2.  However, if you are, I'm happy to schedule some time to look into it with you.  I will need access to a server that is reproducing the problem (ideally not a production server).

Regards,
-Scott

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Hi Scott,

at this time i am not able to test it or show you the machines i have tested it on, because the project has been finished and so i do no longer have access to the servers.

Maybe, so you tried it without errors, the reason is in case of the language?

Both Servers i testest had installed Windows 2008 R2 German with Exchange 2010 SP2 German.

@NormanC, which versions did you try exactly?

happy easter,

drcliff

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I released a new version for Exchange 2010 SP2.  I wasn't aware the binaries had changed -- and somewhere in my testing, this was missed.  I'll try to do better if/when SP3 is released.

In the meantime, I also included some basic instructions for building it yourself should the need arise and I am not able to build the binary.

Sorry for any inconvenience.  Please do file bugs and/or post to the discussion if you have issues with the updated binary or new instructions.